You know how sometimes life seems a bit like a Shakespearean tragedy where bad things come in three’s? Act I – your mother marries your uncle, Act II – you accidentally kill your best friend, Act III – you marry your true love but then he dies . . . things just get worse and worse until you want to run screaming from the theater. Well, I’ve been wondering if the play I’ve been walking out of after three disappointing Acts, actually has a happy Act IV instead of the death, destruction and mayhem I am expecting.
What if there is a fourth Act where something really great happens after the "disasters," and it more than makes up for the first three crappy Acts?!!
In real life, it might look like this . . .
In one week, you miss a meeting, lock your keys in the car, and forget an important birthday, but the next week, you remember a piece of trivia that saves your department from making a bad decision and you get a huge promotion.
OR – you get a flat tire, your brakes fail, and your transmission goes out – all in the same month, but the next month, you inherit a nice sum of money and buy a beautiful new car that you like even better than the old one.
Or – you lose three different friendships that mattered to you in one year’s time, but the next year you meet someone whose friendship is the one that makes all the difference.
What do you think? Is there a happily ever after in Act IV?? Sure hope so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Yes...absolutely!!! And the Happily Ever After is amazing!!!
I sure hope so...otherwise, what's the point. ;-)
There’s definitely a happily ever after, but I don’t think it just comes at the end of the story. The people I know who are the happiest are those who simply make the most out of what they have. They’re not naïve, they have plenty of bad days, and they all readily agree that life is hard and often sucks. What’s different about them is that they refuse to sell out on themselves or their circumstances. They just wake up in the morning and work with what they have (however little that is).
The trick is not to keep hoping for the next act, but to enjoy the one you’re in—to storm the castle, slay the villain, marry the prince, and ride off into the sunset, all in Act III. Perhaps that sounds cliché (it is). And it’s certainly easier said than done. But the fact is it can, and does, work.
Post a Comment