my brilliant thoughts on shopping, dating, movies, books, travel & other such things

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Me, Myself and Me

A few years ago, I attended a work seminar on communication. One of the exercises was to analyze your communication style at home – with the person you interact with every day.

A guy leaned over and, knowing I am single, asked, “Who are you going to use? Yourself?” In my characteristically gentle manner, I responded that of course I don’t talk to myself, moron. Any self talking I do is really just a thought process – not a vocalized communication - like, “You shouldn’t have said that – do better next time,” or, “Remember to pick up a birthday gift for Billy Bob on the way home.”

Well, that was then. A few months ago, I started talking (not just thinking) to myself. I had pulled into my work parking lot and found a really great parking place and I congratulated myself. Out loud.

After laughing for a few minutes, I realized I had just begun communicating with someone who never talks too slowly and who already knows I’m fairly silly. I’ve been talking to myself ever since. It’s almost like I have roommates.

Hahaha – just kidding. But I do talk to myself every once in a while. Do you?

4 comments:

Kurt said...

I'll be concerned when I see you commenting on your own blog posts.

Sher said...

I talk to myself all the time. Usually it's aimed at a little body(or three) - but really, it's to myself. And I oftentimes say things that I think, "If there's a hidden camera watching me, somebody else will appreciate that funny remark!" Only I really hope there's not a hidden camera...

Joe and Tami said...

I know a great psychiatrist if you are interested.

Raymon said...

I think that you have tapped into pure genius!