my brilliant thoughts on shopping, dating, movies, books, travel & other such things

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Mad Cow Disease

I am going to write and thank Delta Airlines for charging for in-flight movies, because if they hadn’t, I may never have discovered some delightful Avril Lavigne Mad Girl Music (almost the only thing besides the trivia game that was “free”) on my way back from New York a few weeks ago. I would have watched a movie, fallen asleep, and been none the wiser.

I already knew of Avril Lavigne – I’ve got Complicated and My Happy Ending on my iPod, and she must have been writing about me with her song, I Always Get What I Want . . . “you don’t want to see me when I don’t get what I want; that’s not what you want . . ." Yep. Me. Makes me laugh every time I hear it.

I must admit, I do enjoy a good loud angry song now and then (okay – slightly more frequently than that); but, wow – have you heard, I Can Do Better . . .

I hate you now
So go away from me
You're gone, so long
I can do better, I can do better


Or, Girlfriend . . .
Hey! Hey! You! You!
I don’t like your girlfriend!
No way! No way!
I think you need a new one

(By the way, these are the tame/clean sections of the lyrics.) The music that accompanies these charming sentiments is pretty ideal for enhancing a bad mood, so if you want to be mad – listen to these (but not too closely).

Also, a new favorite is Taylor Swift’s Picture to Burn . . .

State the obvious, I didn't get my perfect fantasy
I realize you love yourself more than you could ever love me
So go and tell your friends that I'm obsessive and crazy
That's fine I'll tell mine you're gay
And by the way...

I hate that stupid old pickup truck
You never let me drive
You're a redneck heartbreak
Who's really bad at lying
So watch me strike a match
On all my wasted time
As far as I'm concerned you're
Just another picture to burn

Brilliant song! I know it’s not very nice, but I actually love this one. I sing it at the top of my lungs when I’m driving to work (late and with curlers in my hair). It’s also great work-out music. Wonder what the people at the gym would think if I started “singing” this out loud.

What is it about rejection that turns us into such crazy mad freaks?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess the nice thing about songs is they say the kinds of things we’d like to say but can’t (or shouldn’t). Perhaps nice folks like Sister Lavigne just have a knack for expressing life better—much better in some cases. Of course, some people may not agree with that, but as a friend of mine once said:

“I dont really care what you think of me
Cause either way you're gonna think what you believe
There's nothing you could say that would hurt me.”

Leslie said...

Angry music is the best way to get back at the idiot who rejects us because we're too nice to actually say it to their faces. :)

EdgarC said...

I just have to make sure. Do you have any songs about destroying your employee's 2000 Mazda Protege because he messed up on an assignment?