I went to five or six different stores this week looking for some little prize I could give family members at Thanksgiving Dinner tomorrow. I realize I left it a bit late, but I was sure I’d be able to find SOMETHING for the last minute shopper. Not so. There was absolutely nothing. There were tons of wonderful things for Christmas, but seriously nothing else. Wow.
No prizes tomorrow guys. Sorry I’m too lame to think of Thanksgiving prizes in July. In case you’re a bit behind (like me), Thanksgiving ended in October – almost before Halloween even happened.
Why do we skip over this most wonderful and meaningful holiday every year? We’re so anxious for Christmas (which I will agree is a VERY joyous holiday to celebrate the most wonderful event the world has seen), but I think we should embrace Thanksgiving too.
So – here’s a small portion (some of my favorites) of this year’s Thanksgiving list, shared in celebration of the holiday and gratitude for the many blessings in my life:
1. Employment so I can improve, contribute and pay for #2
2. My, beautiful and comfortable home
3. The Kings Singers, John Denver, Avril Lavigne, Royal Bliss, Eve 6, Eric Clapton, Dave Matthews, …
4. Dr. Pepper, Ruby Red Squirt, cheese, pink cookies, white cake with raspberry filling and all Mexican food
5. My gym pass
6. Roses and daisies
7. The Great Ocean Road in Australia
8. Memories of Hebgen Lake, Montana
9. The mountains surrounding Salt Lake City
10. The opportunity to learn from the examples and accomplishments of four amazing grandparents
11. A loving, generous and supportive father who buys me flowers for Valentines and Mother’s Day
12. A patient, kind and fun mother who constantly strives to be a loving and righteous woman
13. 12 wonderful brothers and sisters-in-law who fill my life with learning & laughter
14. 13 nieces and nephews, who are the joy of life
15. The thoughtfulness, listening ear and wisdom of true friends
16. My piano and the ability to play it
17. Good books & movies that educate, enlighten and entertain
18. A high-school Humanities teacher who read The Velveteen Rabbit to us every year
19. My primary kids
20. The peace and guiding influence of my faith and the Source from whence it comes
Obviously, I had to finish with the most important one. And – there are lots of silly things on the big list, like my black boots, my black & pearl earrings, my pillow, my iPod, my Picasso ironing print, my dart gun at work, my stuffed lions ….. etc., but you’ve got to make an effort to sound mostly grounded when you’re only listing 20 things, right? Recognizing blessings and expressing gratitude is such a happy thing. Thank goodness for Thanks-giving! We should celebrate it for months and months.
Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Finally you are forced to keep the bar lower for the rest of us. Gifts for thanksgiving. Who are you?
Post a Comment