One of my favorite books, The Hiding Place, describes an experience two sisters in a concentration camp have when they discover that fleas have infested their beds. After having a small freak out, they read a scripture in 1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18, which says: “Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” They weren't sure they could really be thankful for fleas, but followed the counsel and prayed expressing thanks for them anyway. They soon recognized actual blessings because of the fleas.
Being single is a flea for me. While I am in the midst of trying to exterminate this flea, I thought it might be a good idea to follow Paul’s counsel to the Thessalonians and express gratitude – so here are some things I like about being single:
1- Time: I pretty much do what I want when I want (workout, sleep, eat, work, shop, etc.) – I like doing what I want a lot – ever heard the Avril Lavigne song – “I Always Get What I Want”???
2- Movies: I can pick whatever movie I want to go see (a friend introduced me to the solo movie thing a while back and I like it – except for seeing Dark Knight alone which was LAME)
3- Money: I spend my money how I want (are you sensing control issues?) – if I want to buy ridiculously expensive 5” heels, I do
4- Travel: I can travel to places like Australia for 5 weeks if I feel like it (and have worked hard to save up enough $$ and vacation time)
5- Weekends: I can hang out with my mom – movie nights, shopping sprees, spa trips, etc.; and, go to Costco, watch John Wayne or sports with my dad and brothers – which are things I love to do
6- Home: My house looks exactly how I want it to – I think it is very pretty and very cozy; dirty dishes (there aren’t many of these) are almost never left in the sink, the toilet seat is NEVER left up, clothes are either in the hamper or hung up – not strewn about (unless I’m feeling lazy), no newspapers are left lying around (mainly cuz I don’t take the paper), and I have flowers everywhere
7- TV: “Sole possession of the remote control” (what movie is that from?)
8- Reading: I can read for hours without really neglecting anyone or feeling guilty
9- Kids: I can spoil my nieces and nephews at birthdays and Christmas, and I can enjoy spending time with them with no direct responsibility for any of the tough parent stuff
10- Food: No one eats the last bowl of Lucky Charms except me.
There you have it: the benefits of being in the Single Club. I would, of course, very happily give up or adjust all of these things for Mr. Right . . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Such a good post Raybee! :) Looking back now...there are so many things that I am grateful I was able to do when I was single because they wouldn't be possible now and I also think I appreciate marriage more than I would have if I had married younger. I love your reference to The Hidding Place, I love that wonderful book and I think you are right about being grateful even for "the fleas"! You are awesome!!!
Ha! After your post and with stuff that's going on right now in my life, I'm trying to think of why it's great to be married. ;-) Although I have some VERY cute kids out of the deal, so... I agree though. It was nice to have my single time, but easy to adjust for Mr. Right. :)
Well, I can do most of those things too. I just have to wait till my wife is asleep. :)
While You Were Sleeping!!! One of the best shows and quotable quotes ever. Love the thoughts - there are lots of great things about being single and it's awesome you recognize them. When can we see you again??
Becky you are always so inspiring. You always find the blessings in everything. What I wouldn't give to just buy a pair of 5"heels & sleep when ever I wanted. I think in our 12 years of marriage we have onl gone away twice & you have kept our children both times. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! It is always so comforting when they are with you. I do worry that you maybe over spoil them but like Grandpa Great says that's your job & you love it. Thank you again for my birthday gift.
I love ya
Leah
Amen. Those are nice perks. I also love that book.
Post a Comment