my brilliant thoughts on shopping, dating, movies, books, travel & other such things

Sunday, November 14, 2010

46 - We're Not Normal, We're Harmons

WARNING: Budget Master - don't read this one...

At 7:00 am Saturday morning, I ran over to the Harmons near my home to grab some laundry detergent. There were two reasons for this early morning visit:

1. I was out of detergent. :)
2. They open at 7 and I wanted to get in and out of the store quickly before the crowds came charging in. It's a popular store.

When I walked in, I smelled the bakery and decided maybe I'd buy a loaf of bread and have a slice for breakfast...then I saw the Thanksgiving stuff and decided I needed to get some little gifts for the dinner attendees...I got some tights...some granola...and, yes - the detergent.

Could this crazy shopping behavior have all happened at some other grocery store? Yep - probably.

Could the baker have given me a thick slice of multi-grain bread for free just to be nice...at some other store? Don't think so.

Would the checker have been friendly and automatically given me change in fives, tens and twenties rather than just twenties? Nah.

Would another checker have come up and asked if everything was ok with my Dad who hadn't been in to the store for three weeks? No way.

Would that same checker have sent our family a card of condolence when Grandma died. Not a chance.

This is a great store. They have a drive-up window for Rx - which is open until 10 - or you can order it online. They have an awesome kitchen section and delicious salad bar. They have clothes, etc., for various events like Breast Cancer Awareness Month. They have great produce, an awesome selection of seasonal items, and frequently have stuffed toy lions. Oh, yeah - that was the other thing I bought Saturday morning. Ooops.

#46 on my list of Favorite Things is HARMONS! They aren't the normal grocery store.

5 comments:

Kurt said...

brownies

Kurt said...

As if the budget master will stop reading...we need to talk.

Emilee said...

I shop at that Harmons too (I assume the one on 33rd is the only one in the area.) Love it!

Joe and Tami said...

I hear that back in the day they used to deliver groceries. How awesome would that be?

Unknown said...

I love that Harmons. That Harmons makes me a little more Randy.