my brilliant thoughts on shopping, dating, movies, books, travel & other such things

Saturday, December 11, 2010

19 - Little Treasures

In the Sermon on the Mount, the Savior teaches the importance of seeking the Lord’s kingdom first. St. Matthew recounts for us these instructions from Jesus: “Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”

I had the great blessing to learn from four extraordinary individuals who sought the Lord’s kingdom first: my amazing grandparents. Their lives and examples and the multitude of lessons I learned from them are treasures beyond price to me. I think of each of them daily.

In addition to the love and life lessons I inherited from them, I have some tangible treasures from each of them. Favorite among those treasures are –

From Grandma Pendleton: the hand-written 3x5 card of her favorite quote reminding her (and me) to stop worrying (LeGrand Richards: “For every worry under the sun, There is a remedy, or there is none; If there be one, hurry and find it, If there be none, never mind it.”).

From Grandpa Pendleton: his big warm red Stanford sweatshirt reminding me of the importance of a constant pursuit of excellence.

From Grandpa Smith: a $1 bill from his bill pad reminding me of the importance of saving and spending wisely.

From Grandma Smith: a rose ring I bought with the $10 she kindly gave me to use on my Australia trip weeks before she died – reminding me of her beauty and her constant efforts to bless our lives.

Treasures, indeed.

#19 on my list of Favorite Things are my TREASURED MEMORIES OF LOVING GRANDPARENTS.