One summer, my brother and I spent many nights eating Cheetos and Ranch dip (very delicious) and watching an 80’s classic film: North Shore. Now, some might say we were losers with nothing to do, but I think it is more to do with the fact that we enjoy good food, good movies, and having a good laugh.
North Shore is a “B” movie, if that, but it is very fun to watch and quote (“Nobody listens to turtle…”). There are several other 80’s movies I would throw into the “B” category – all movies I loved (and still love) to watch over and over; they might not merit an Academy nod for Best Picture, but I would give them other awards like….
Some Kind of Wonderful – Most Awkward Kissing Scene to Watch While on a Not Great Blind Date Award (in addition - a bug flew onto my lip while we were eating and I ate it)
16 Candles – Sweetest Red Porsche/Just Like the Boy Next Door Award
Top Gun – Top Volley-Ball Game I Like to Watch (what girl doesn't?) Award
Pretty in Pink – Greatest Soundtrack to Listen to While Lying Out Award
Always – Best Last Movie Seen with College Sweetheart Award
Footloose – Classic Movie My Grandma Didn’t Want Me to Watch on the Airplane Ride to Hawaii but Had Already Seen with My Young Women’s Leader Award
Fletch – Most Quoted Chevy Chase Line Award (also my favorite comedy film ever)
Karate Kid – Most Reminiscent of Neighborhood Boys Award
Superman II – Craziest Movie I Wish I Hadn’t Watched with My Mom and My Friend’s Mom Award
Princess Bride – Most Quoted Movie by Missionaries in Australia Award
The Outsiders – Best Book My 6th Grade Teacher Read to Us Award
Now – this is all just a silly walk down memory lane, to be sure, but in fairness to the brilliance of the 80’s, there were also some absolute classics produced– certainly worthy of a real Best Picture Oscar, like:
Somewhere in Time, Out of Africa, Dead Poets Society, On Golden Pond, Driving Miss Daisy, The Mission, Gandhi, Chariots of Fire and Rain Man.
#20 on my list of Favorite Things is 80’s MOVIES.
Bonus Prize: Which of these were either nominated or DID get the Best Picture?
North Shore is a “B” movie, if that, but it is very fun to watch and quote (“Nobody listens to turtle…”). There are several other 80’s movies I would throw into the “B” category – all movies I loved (and still love) to watch over and over; they might not merit an Academy nod for Best Picture, but I would give them other awards like….
Some Kind of Wonderful – Most Awkward Kissing Scene to Watch While on a Not Great Blind Date Award (in addition - a bug flew onto my lip while we were eating and I ate it)
16 Candles – Sweetest Red Porsche/Just Like the Boy Next Door Award
Top Gun – Top Volley-Ball Game I Like to Watch (what girl doesn't?) Award
Pretty in Pink – Greatest Soundtrack to Listen to While Lying Out Award
Always – Best Last Movie Seen with College Sweetheart Award
Footloose – Classic Movie My Grandma Didn’t Want Me to Watch on the Airplane Ride to Hawaii but Had Already Seen with My Young Women’s Leader Award
Fletch – Most Quoted Chevy Chase Line Award (also my favorite comedy film ever)
Karate Kid – Most Reminiscent of Neighborhood Boys Award
Superman II – Craziest Movie I Wish I Hadn’t Watched with My Mom and My Friend’s Mom Award
Princess Bride – Most Quoted Movie by Missionaries in Australia Award
The Outsiders – Best Book My 6th Grade Teacher Read to Us Award
Now – this is all just a silly walk down memory lane, to be sure, but in fairness to the brilliance of the 80’s, there were also some absolute classics produced– certainly worthy of a real Best Picture Oscar, like:
Somewhere in Time, Out of Africa, Dead Poets Society, On Golden Pond, Driving Miss Daisy, The Mission, Gandhi, Chariots of Fire and Rain Man.
#20 on my list of Favorite Things is 80’s MOVIES.
Bonus Prize: Which of these were either nominated or DID get the Best Picture?

3 comments:
I love watching these movies over and over again too. I can't believe you are down to 20 days. Have a great day. -Laralynn
Thanks, Laralynn!!! I am so glad you read my blog. Hope you can come to my party!
chocolate topper
Post a Comment