my brilliant thoughts on shopping, dating, movies, books, travel & other such things

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What Might Have Been

Here is the Gershwin Theater where I waited for an hour in the cancellation line hoping to get a ticket to see Wicked . . . on Broadway – standing in front of a girl who whined to everyone in front of her that she would never in her life be back in New York and she was leaving tomorrow and oh, if she was just number 8 in line (my position) then she was sure to get a ticket because 8 is her lucky number. (Who has 8 as a lucky number anyway???) I was the very next person in line for a ticket when they closed the thing down. If only . . .

Here is the pizza place where I ate an absolutely amazing slice of pizza instead of seeing Wicked . . . on Broadway. If only . . .

Here is where I came back and ironed my clothes, packed, and laid down with a shocking headache instead of seeing Wicked – or anything else for that matter . . . on Broadway. If only . . .


If only . . .

-I had scheduled my trip to be in New York a bit longer, or
-I had tried harder to find a way to get a discount ticket for Wicked online before arriving, or
-The mafia woman at the hotel had let me get a single ticket instead of saying she could only sell me a $200/ticket double booking, or
-I didn’t mind paying $100+ for some other Broadway show that I didn’t really want to see as much as Wicked, or
-I had left 10 minutes earlier so that I was lucky #7 in line, or

A plethora of other things that might have been, but they weren’t. So – too bad. We live and learn. Sometimes the lessons are pretty painful and they leave an indelible impression. Other times, we’re kind of glad that we are laying on a nice comfy hotel bed instead of sitting in a crowded theater with a stupid headache and pizza-induced indigestion. (It sure was good pizza.)

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I'm so sorry about Wicked. I have been wanting to see it so much as well. Maybe one of these days!!!

How fun to be in NY!

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to lie, that show is AMAZING! I wish you had gotten to go. But I hear it's going to be in Salt Lake in the next year.