The summer before my senior year in high school, our Madrigals conductor, Mrs. Hewlett, gathered the group for weekly practices so that as soon as the year began, we could hit the ground singing.
The first song we sang together as a group was the King's Singers arrangement of You Are The New Day:
I will love you more than me
and more than yesterday
If you can but prove to me
you are the new day
Send the sun in time for dawn
Let the birds all hail the morning
Love of life will urge me say
you are the new day
When I lay me down at night
knowing we must pay
Thoughts occur that this night might
stay yesterday
Thoughts that we as humans small
could slow worlds and end it all
lie around me where they fall
before the new day
One more day when time is running out
for everyone
Like a breath I knew would come I reach for
the new day
Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of life means hope for me
borne on a new day
You are the new day
Aren't those fantastic lyrics?!! I LOVE this song!! And, I LOVE listening to the King's Singers. We sang several of their madrigal arrangements and Mrs. Hewlett got us tickets to go hear them perform with the Utah Symphony. Every time I've known they were coming to Utah since then, I've tried to go hear them.
The first time I heard the King's Singers sing You Are The New Day live, it was so beautiful, I wept. If you've never heard them sing, stop what you are doing and go now to listen to them.
The first song we sang together as a group was the King's Singers arrangement of You Are The New Day:
I will love you more than me
and more than yesterday
If you can but prove to me
you are the new day
Send the sun in time for dawn
Let the birds all hail the morning
Love of life will urge me say
you are the new day
When I lay me down at night
knowing we must pay
Thoughts occur that this night might
stay yesterday
Thoughts that we as humans small
could slow worlds and end it all
lie around me where they fall
before the new day
One more day when time is running out
for everyone
Like a breath I knew would come I reach for
the new day
Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of life means hope for me
borne on a new day
You are the new day
Aren't those fantastic lyrics?!! I LOVE this song!! And, I LOVE listening to the King's Singers. We sang several of their madrigal arrangements and Mrs. Hewlett got us tickets to go hear them perform with the Utah Symphony. Every time I've known they were coming to Utah since then, I've tried to go hear them.
The first time I heard the King's Singers sing You Are The New Day live, it was so beautiful, I wept. If you've never heard them sing, stop what you are doing and go now to listen to them.
#25 on my list of Favorite Things are The KING'S SINGERS and a NEW DAY.

2 comments:
Seems kinda fruity if you ask me :)
chocolate dipped strawberries
Post a Comment