my brilliant thoughts on shopping, dating, movies, books, travel & other such things

Thursday, December 23, 2010

7 - Sleeping in Beauty

My niece and I were talking the other day about the removable tops of the posts on her bed (they make great microphones and weapons). She has the bed I grew up with. In it's prime, it was a beautiful canopy bed. I still remember my excitement, when at the end of my Christmas morning treasure hunt, I ended up opening my bedroom door to see this glorious cream colored bed standing there - with a matching cream and brown rug on the floor. My parents had us all sleep in one room that Christmas Eve. We thought it was so fun to have a Christmas slumber party. Despite the fact that my brothers will tell you I was spoiled every Christmas (only girl) I never thought I would get such a grand present. They kept it at the Pococks across the street to ensure secrecy. What a site they must have been carting big boxes out of their neighbor's house in the middle of the night.

I loved that bed. And, I love my "big girl" bed now. It has a pillow top and in the winter, flannel sheets, fleece and down blankets and the best pillow in the wide world. I just LOVE when I get to sleep in or take a nap. There's pretty much nothing better than a Sunday afternoon nap, is there? (SO excited for morning church in one week!!!)

I recognize that not everyone sleeps in such luxury - in peace, warmth, and comfort - and I am truly grateful for this blessing in my life. I am a girl who needs her sleep.

#7 on my list of Favorite Things is MY BED.

(The pic above is the closest web photo I could find to what my bed looked like. It is VERY close. The canopy on MY bed met its match with the monkeys who liked sneaking in and swinging from it.)

2 comments:

Paul, Kami and Henry said...

I try not to miss my Sunday nap - even if I have afternoon church!

Paul and I hated paying for a new bed a couple of years ago but it ended up being worth every single penny. Why not get the best?

My bed is definitely on my "favorites" list, too.

7 more days...

Kurt said...

white chocolate